Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Training Schedule

So what am I doing for training? I found an 18-week training schedule (I'm doing Novice 2) by Hal Higdon. I have more than 18 weeks to train, so until January 1, I'll just keep doing the same first week over and over. Then I've added a couple weeks in the middle, too, but I'll tell you about those when I get to them.

I also switched the days of the week slightly, so my long run is on Friday and I rest on Thursday and Sunday.

If you're not ready to do a start at week 1 of the Novice 2 training schedule right now, you have a few weeks to get ready! Really, before you know it you'll find that 3 to 5 miles is an easy run. Some might find this hard to believe, but it's true! When you're running 10 or more miles for your long run, 5 is a piece of cake. Just do what you can for now. Higdon also encourages walking.

One of my running companions emailed me another style of training called Yasso 800s. I'd like to do the full marathon in 4 1/2 hours, so I think I'll try this method, too, and work 800s into replace my Wednesday run.

1 comment:

  1. This is the same training schedule I used last year. I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete